Museum History

The Metchosin Schoolhouse was opened in the spring of 1872 and is the first school building opened in British Columbia after confederation. Classes began with Mrs. Elizabeth Fisher teaching seven girls and three boys. The school closed in 1914, reopened in 1942 and closed again in 1949. It was opened once more in 1972; this time as the Metchosin School Museum.

The Metchosin Schoolhouse was opened in the spring of 1872 and is the first school building opened in British Columbia after confederation. Classes began with Mrs. Elizabeth Fisher teaching seven girls and three boys. The school closed in 1914, reopened in 1942 and closed again in 1949. It was opened once more in 1972; this time as the Metchosin School Museum.